[Dixielandjazz] Kelly and the "L" and music copyrights

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Mon Apr 20 18:17:32 EDT 2020

Just for the record: When I ask these questions they are mostly
rhetorical and
"teasers" to get people writing. I assume we all have Google and access
to Wikipedia.

My apologies to Phil, but, In a rage I created a web page with 100 songs
most, close to 100 years old.
They came from a Hal Leonard Book called "Nostalgia" or something like
that. A picture of the book is on my web site. The Hal Leonard Corp.
(probably Sony) changed a few notes, added chord symbols and copyrighted
all the songs a few years ago. Hmph!
I will explain my anger at a later time.

I decided to search various libraries on line, download the pdf files
and create the songs in Finale with
the original credits including copyright notices or what ever was
notated on the sheet. On occasion I re-created the back covers and
sometimes the ads.

RE:Kelly. There are two characters and each has lines. Timothy Kelly,
the store owner and Pat Clancy
the sign painter. Maybe I read the lyric as Timothy saying "If I agree
to knock the "L" out of Kelly
spell my name (Kely) .. in true Irish tradition we will remain good
friends.

BTW: Who put the overalls in ..........
I know who!

I have decided that since the verse, in many of the old songs have two
sets of lyrics, it is assumed you would go back to the verse or the vamp
if there was one. Repeat marks at the chorus probably indicate repeat
this also even though it has one line of lyric.

Copyrights:
In the 50's and later I had a contact for buying fake books.
History - In he 40's I had a thirty page  5 x 8 size, hand written book
with a standard Tune on each side/
I bought that for $5.00 Later, in the 50's, I had a "wholesale" contact
for buy 100 page Loose Leaf
8 1/2 x 11 books with two or three songs on a page. These were great for
gigs.
Before Fake Books there were "Tunedex" cards. Index cards with tunes
printed on them, the latest show tunes, pop hits etc. Copyright notices
were on all cards and royalties were paid. Some person or persons who
knew "offset printing" took photos of the cards (3 at a time) removing
all copyright notices and sometimes half the lyrics or credits. Thus
became the first printed 100 page "Fake Book". The music stores sold the
under the counter (in plain brown bags) for $35.00 or more. I was
selling them to the stores and to musicians at the Wednesday meeting of
Local 802 for $2.00.

I knew most of the publishers and when I mentioned the"illegal" book to
them they immediately bought one to see if their songs were in it. If
so, they smiled! If not, I was handed a bunch of "professional
copies to give to the printers

Why? you ask. Because it was professional musicians who bought the books
to play the songs at gigs. A.S.C.A.P. collected the royalties if your
song was played in public. The people at the printing company (I still
don't know who they were) proceeded to cut up the song sheets
Only the vocal with chord symbols. This went on for another nine volumes.
Never a law suit from anyone.

more copyright stuff: "Now Is The Time", "Ornithology" "Lullaby Of Birdland"
"Moody's Mood For Love"

In the words of Rod Serling "For your approval" I have attached my copy
of Kelly. Decide for yourself.
Would you believe: The line was only spoken in three shows?