[Dixielandjazz] Dorothy Dell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 21 17:07:25 PDT 2010

Katie Cavera asked [in part]:
> ......I'd like to hear a recording of Dorothy Dell singing "Was I?" which is a Chick Endor and Charlie Farrell song she sang in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1931.

Dear Katie,
It's also on one of Limerick Jude's CDs.
8>)
A quick search of the DJML turned up this link:
http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2005-April/026656.html
 " "Was I Drunk" (Chick Endor and Charlie Farrell) was discussed on the DJML in
March 2001 and we tracked it back to singer Dorothy Dell and the Zeigfeld
Follies 1931. (I have a lot more on this.)
It has been recorded by:
Peggy Hill with Eliot Everett & His Orch. (as "Was I?"). NY. 4 Aug 1932
Lil Johnson. Chicago. 11 June 1936.
Georgia White (as "Was I?"). Chicago. 4 Sept 1936
Turk Murphy. SF. 1966
George Melly. Feb 1980
Listmate Judy Eames. 30 Nov 1998
Madeleine Peyroux. 1996."
A companion link also reveals that it is in listmate David Littlefield's "Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 2".
I don't think Dorothy Dell recorded it.
I will need to check my files, but maybe not today, as it is our weekly Sunday afternoon pub gig.
More later.
Very kind regards,
Bill (the boy from OZ).