[Dixielandjazz] Re: Help please

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 20 00:50:22 PDT 2005

Dear Ivor,
Welcome back.

"Was I Drunk" (Chick Endor and Charlie Farrell) was discussed on the DJML in
March 2001 and we tracked it back to singer Dorothy Dell and the Zeigfeld
Follies 1931. (I have a lot more on this.)
It has been recorded by:
Peggy Hill with Eliot Everett & His Orch. NY. 4 Aug 1932
Lil Johnson. Chicago. 11 June 1936.
Georgia White. (as "Was I?"). Chicago. 4 Sept 1936
Turk Murphy. SF. 1966
George Melly. Feb 1980
Listmate Judy Eames. 3O Nov 1998
Madeleine Peyroux. 1996.

"Buddy's Habits" (Charley Straight- Arnett Nelson) was first recorded by
Charley Straight's Orch in June 1923 then by:
King Oliver's Jazz Band - 25 Oct 1923 as "Buddy's Habit". (Arnett
Nelson).
The Midway Dance Orch - 5 Dec 1923. (Straight-Nelson)
The Bucktown Five [with Muggsy Spanier] - 25 Feb 1925. (Straight-Nelson)
Red Nichols & His  5 Pennies - 20 Dec 1926. (Straight-Nelson)
The generally accepted story is that when cltist Arnett Nelson played in
Jimmy Wade's Orch at the Moulin Rouge Cafe (Wabash Ave, Chicago) the
tuba/bass sax player, Louis 'Buddy' Gross, was a great beer drinker. His
HABIT at the end of each set was to rush off the stand to relieve
himself.

Kind regards,
Bill.