[Dixielandjazz] FW: Talk about identity theft!

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 18:13:41 PST 2003

From: Nick Tountas <nickt1934 at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:18:44 -0800 (PST)
To: Bobby Schiff <bobbyf5 at aol.com>, Nick Schneider <lonote at attbi.com>,
Subject: Fwd: Talk about identity theft!

From: RGDiehl at aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:48:06 EST
To: Paul_Scimonelli at landon.net, BILLSELWAY at aol.com, Zootfan at aol.com,
JimWyckoff at aol.com, jzaderasr at juno.com

From: RbrtRobb at aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:27:48 EST
To: bill.ashton at virgin.net, mbernhar at pacbell.net, paulgb at voicenet.com,
julian at sunline.net, davidkovnat at attbi.com, malcolm at laycock.uk.com,
monkeyetta at earthlink.net, Jmjfilms at aol.com, davepell at webtv.net,
rreynolds at islandnet.com, john.ruddick at btinternet.com,
dsalmasian at hotmail.com, hsouthall at wcupa.edu, davestahl1 at juno.com,
dhs at ev1.net, sheilatracy at compuserve.com, John.A.Vanore at widener.edu,
OOPAPADA at aol.com, JamtimeX at aol.com, nancy at nancymarano.com,
Mesterhaze at aol.com
Subject: Talk about identity theft!

In a message dated 2/6/2003 10:54:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
daledevoe at worldnet.att.net writes:

Just when you thought you'd heard everything.

Today was my teaching day at one of the Philly Catholic high schools. I
teach all the brass instruments. There are 12 brass students altogether in
grades 9-12, of which 4 are beginners.

Area bandleader Phil Giordano teaches drums, and has been there over 10
years. Last year, my first, the band director gig opened up, and Phil took
it over in October, but the administrators harassed him to the point that
during the summer he bailed out, and this year returned to teach drums again
one day a week. Before he bagged the director gig he orderred various
materials like Jamey Aebersolds and charts, some of which were actually
purchased and were added to a decent inventory of method books and music for
concert band, chorus, marching band, and some jazz band music.

During the summer, the school hired a new band director right out of
college, who just a few years ago graduated from the high school - local boy
comes home.

I have to have a very loose policy as to what goes on in the lessons for a
variety of reasons. Sometimes the kids bring their band music to the
lessons.

Today one of the trumpet players showed up with 4 or 5 new jazz band parts.
I asked him what he was doing with those parts, because I had thought that
the jazz band had been canned for lack of interest in rehearsing before
school at 7:15 AM. He said that the school was having some kind of an
international dinner on Feb. 22 (about 2 weeks away), and that several
school groups, including the jazz band, would be playing for the guests.

(One reason why Phil quit as band director is because the school was always
dropping these surprise after-school "gigs" on him and the band.)

I looked at his parts, and right on top was the 4th trumpet part to Mike
Vax's chart on "I Remember Clifford".  I said great, that I've known Mike
Vax a long time as I looked the chart over. Then I asked him who Clifford
was.

He said that the band director had told him that Clifford was this big red
dog on a PBS TV kid's show, and that he (the director) was thinking about
showing a big screened image of the big red dog over the band while they
play the chart at the dinner, but he wasn't sure if he would do that or not.

I told him that I never heard of the show or the dog, and that Clifford was
Clifford Brown, a great black jazz trumpet player who was killed in a car
accident at age 26 on the PA Turnpike in the mid-50's, not some dumb red
dog. I asked him if he had ever heard of Clifford Brown, and he no.

I stopped for a minute. Then I said something like, "I'm trying to be
diplomatic about this..... Look, you're black. I'm white. You should be
telling me about Clifford Brown, instead of me telling you."

I said that when I used to live in southern CA, I had a black girlfriend
that I almost got married to, and it was the same situation, that I would be
telling her about Miles and Trane and those people, and that she should be
telling me about them instead of the other way around.

I told him a little more about Clifford (Brown), things like that he was
from Wilmington, DE, about 30 miles south of Philly. I told him that many of
the bebop musicians of that period were strung out on heroin and alcohol and
died young, and that Clifford was clean, that everybody liked him, and
admired him for not only being such a great young player, but also
demonstrating that you could play great without being strung out - and that
the jazz community was devastated when he died.

I told him that if the Philly black jazz community found out about an image
of some red dog hanging over the band as they played the tune, they might
picket the place.

The next student after him, another trumpet player, this one white, gave me
the same answer when I asked him if he knew who Clifford was, so I went
through the same explanation with him.

When I got home today, I ran a search on Google on Clifford, and immediately
found the website for the show, which apparently runs nationwide, everyday,
several times a day on PBS, and what Clifford Red (not Brown) looks like.

Talk about identity theft.

Dale

[...]

Joining and leaving Kentonia must be done from the email address where you
wish to receive your messages. To join, send an email message to:
Kentonia-subscribe at Yahoogroups.com
The message address will do it all (no need to add content to the subject or
message itself).

To leave this group, send an email to: