[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 228, Issue 2 Sweet Petunia

ROBERT Calder serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 16 02:18:04 EST 2021

I hope none of the singers of the song (male. in any language) echoes
Ms. Bogan's boast alleging amazing resurrecting qualities of her vulva
(just in case anybody wonders how blue this blues genre blues is).
Albert Ammons of course delivered a wonderful wordless performance on
record too. Maybe the Williams in the composer credit with Ammons was
Mayoh Williams, I cant remember but Mary Lou might have picked up the
tune listening to itinerant blues pianists too.

Dippermouth Blues was credite by Little Brother Montgomery to one Bob
Morton, but due to Brother's southern accent (cf. Henry Allen's apology,
Bill Haesler!) the title accorded "Bob Morton Blues"  was mis-written as
"Bob Martin ..."  (Bob Martin's used to be advertised in UK as a tonic
for dogs, nose too tale).

There's also a 1920s recording by "Long Cleeve Reed" and "Papa Harvey
Hull" of s tune called "Early Blues" by the people who recorded Cripple
Clarence Lofton performing a solo piano version of it.   This is another
Sweet P******** and for further historical reference there is JESSE
JAMES, 1936 I think, and his piano part (not to be confused with the
part the lady he sings about "craves") is transcribed in a book of
transcriptions of blues and barrelhouse piano recordings (my copy
currently misplaced) I see THE TRIANGLE HARMONY BOYS recorded something
of the sort in Birmingham Alabama in 1927 (can be heard on-line) .

Merry Christmas when it comes

RRC