[Dixielandjazz] Ragtime Tuba

Tony Orr orr.tony at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:36:16 EDT 2020

At 47:35 Neville Stribling's Jazz Players at a 1980s Australian Jazz
Convention. That was the nucleus of the 8-piece "The Australians Jazz Band"
put together in 1982 to take Lazy Ade to the USA, playing at Sacramento,
San Francisco, Hawaii. My very good friend the late Maurie Dann on tenor
banjo, youngster me on Plectrum. Maurie alternated on piano with reed
player Colonel Lachie Thomson seen here at the keys. Cal Duffy on washboard
- he has recently returned to playing. So good to hear Neville and Ade
together. Alan Stott, Sousa AND Roger Bell on vocal. An LP of The
Australians was recorded prior to the 1982 trip to Sac with a slightly
different lineup which included Pip Avent on tuba.
Cal, Pip and I were the rhythm section of the Society Syncopators which
formed a couple of years later. Stotty now plays with the Creole Bells.
The Creole Bells keep many Australian classics in the repertoire as well as
the Lu Watters/Turk Murphy songs the band was formed to play. The Bell,
Barnard and Johnson bands left a great legacy. There were close interstate
ties in the early days between Melbourne musicians and bands in Adelaide
e.g. Dave Dallwitz and Hobart e.g Tom Pickering. On two of Creole Bells'
trips to Sacramento in the '90s we had on piano Ian Pierce who played with
Tom Pickering in Tassie.
We will resume playing by the end of 2020. The Covid-19 lockdown in
Melbourne looks like easing soon.
Nick Ribush who made this video attended an Australian Jazz Convention at
Ballarat 4 years ago playing in several bands. Videos have been loaded to
Youtube under "Melbourne University Jazz Band: Survivors and Friends 71st
AJC".
Tony Orr