[Dixielandjazz] Ragtime Tuba

Augustine Daniel ds.augustine at utexas.edu
Mon Oct 19 15:51:59 EDT 2020

DJML--
    In 2013, I ran across this hour-long YouTube video of some fine dixieland sounds and still pictures of the bands in and around Melbourne around 1947-1984.  I just stumbled across it again and thought you might enjoy it.
    The "Ragtime Tuba" track is a nice tune, and would be fun to play, but the opening tune of "Czechoslovak Journey" is a real hoot.

    I prowled around the internet looking for the sheet music or leadsheet to this song, but didn't find any. I suppose that it's too obscure, but does anyone have a leadsheet for it?  I could of course take it off the recording, but i'm lazy.
    A list of all the tunes is given in the comments section (but out of order).  Enjoy

    Dan

Australian Jazz. The Melbourne Sound: The First Forty Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNf7j-2MvTE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNf7j-2MvTE>
(length: 1:02.26)

3. Ragtime Tuba (by Dave Dallwitz) starting about the 6:30 mark
by The Southern Jazz Group (Sydney, 29 May 1950)

Dave Dallwitz (trombone, leader),
Bill Munro (trumpet),
Ade Monsbourgh (trumpet, clarinet, alto sax),
Bruce Gray (clarinet, alto sax),
Kevin Allen (piano),
Johnny Malpas (banjo, guitar),
Bob Wright (tuba),
Bob Foreman (drums)

** Dan Augustine -- Austin, Texas -- ds.augustine at utexas.edu <mailto:ds.augustine at utexas.edu>
**     "The whole world is about three drinks behind.” -- Humphrey Bogart