[Dixielandjazz] Fascinating Rhythm

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Thu Oct 8 12:38:45 EDT 2020

After my last post to DJML, I was thinking it might be fun to put up this
video from YouTube to show the class of people I was fortunate enough to
have played with in the late 1960’s in Madrid, when the club I played at
nitely had something as sinister as jazz was behind an unmarked
door
..during the time of Franco!.

I mentioned earlier that the drummer seemed to be able to pull the band back
together when the few times we wandered into a “free” period.  The drummer
then was Enrique Llacer, known by the name of Regolí.  You will be able to
see here that he is an accomplished percussionist (his daytime job was
percussionist with the Spanish National Orchestra), and plays on this
recording drums and other percussion, along with vibraphone, xylophone, and
the marimba.

Regolí played with our band, Canal Street Jazz Band all during the 1970’s,
and then introduced us to one of his students who took over his job with the
band for another 20 yrs before passing his position off to one of HIS
students, who is now our current drummer since the year 2000.

Anyway, enjoy this version Fascinating Rhythm with Regolí:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzMSM6z36Q

Jim

p.s. Yes, that is Gerry Mulligan in one of the photos, along with our then
trumpeter, Joe Moro.  Most of the people seen in those old photos were my
“compañeros” in the Madrid recording studios.  Nice memories
..