[Dixielandjazz] Fascinating Rhythm

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:49:18 EDT 2020

Hello Jim,
I heard Mulligan playing Dixieland on clarinet borrowed from Tony Scott.
That was at a jam session in Nice in 1976.  Doc Cheatham and some other
veterans were playing and swinging like mad.  Mulligan decided to join the
party and in a few minutes swayed the style to 4-beat Dixieland, thus
proving what he declared - "I am a Dixielander at heart."  The jam session
ended at 4 AM, or rather, I left at 4AM when all the traditional musicians
were gradually replaced by youngsters who couldn't really play.
BTW, the French waiters were astonishing - they walked between peoples'
legs (the place was crowded and we were sitting on the floor), holding the
trays above their heads, and remembered what everybody ordered!
Cheers