[Dixielandjazz] "Free Jazz" as subsidy

ROBERT Calder serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 8 11:45:18 EDT 2020

On a visit to Spain long ago ....   no, that's not the start of a
limerick!
anyway I was talking to this bandleading musician, and he was talking of
his debt to Finnish "Free Jazz"  -- I did once see a TV feature on
another Finnish musical enthusiasm, to wit Tango...

What appealed to this bandleader, who when asked what Finnish "Free
Jazz" was like wrinkled his nose, was the ability of the most gifted of
his personnel to head off north-east and come back bearing banknotes
paid him as rather a favourite among Finnish fans of NOKIMAA  ---  "NOT
OUR KIND, IF MUSIC AT ALL" as Marek might suggest.

In Finland it seems at the time of our conversation there was money to
be won ...

Not of course to be compared with the case of Arvella Gray, who had the
special problem after he'd lost his sight to a shotgun salvo from the
husband of a female friend.  He had managed a precarious living walking
around with a guitar, but gradually attained to a level of proficiency
which damaged his finances. He was no longer so incapable that people
habitually paid him to move on.

Robert R. Calder