[Dixielandjazz] FREE JAZZ CF. Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 214, Issue 5

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 8 16:49:14 EDT 2020

> On 8 Oct 2020, at 9:53 AM, ROBERT Calder <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Do you ken FREE JAZZ with its key that strays
> and notes that wander in peculiar ways
> too liable listeners to faze
> and leave them staggering lost in a haze
>
> Do you ken FREE JAZZ with its phrases that reel
> like the player was walking on banana peel
> and strike paying customers as a very poor deal ...
> not appreciating but scorning
>
> for the sound of some horns is like slack balloons played
> with a rasp and fart which have often dismayed
> so customers have asked why nobody displayed
> at the venue door a warning ????
>
> I am sure some English trad bands have recorded versions of
> "D'ye ken John Peel?" (the verses are for fun, I'm not condemning any musicians).

Good morning Robert,
Not that I can find, which is not to say that they didn't play it.
However recorded renditions can be found on YouTube by:

Leonard Feather's Ye Olde English Swnge Band	Decca, 4 May 1937
Bob Crosby and His Orchestra				Decca, 9 March 1939
Ted Heath and His Music 					Decca, January 1958
and one by bandleader Victor Silvester.

Very kind regards.
Bill.