[Dixielandjazz] Disappearing music

Ling, Andy Andy.Ling at grassvalley.com
Sat Aug 15 05:44:34 EDT 2020

This sort of thing has been discussed before, CDs don't last forever. It depends on the type of CD. Writeable computer ones are the worst. They rely on a dye which can fade particularly if left in the sun. But even "pressed" CDs can fail. They have a thing foil sandwiched between plastic and this can creep forming small holes.

Generally there isn't much you can do about it once the CD has failed. Some CD players may cope better as the error correcting systems can be different. So if you can't get replacements, make a copy of as much as you can before it gets worse.

I would find a computer that can play as much as possible and "rip" the CD to audio files on to a hard disk. Then you can use these to burn CDs to play in the car etc. And when those CDs fail, you burn some more from the audio files you still have.

Regards

Andy Ling