[Dixielandjazz] Disappearing music tracks - one solution

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Sat Aug 15 16:01:03 EDT 2020

In tune with the last two posts about losing CD tracks. It happened in
the car more often.
Then came the 21st century. My wife has wife 1,000 + CDs. I have perhaps 30.
Our cd players all crashed. The great shelves holding the cd recordings
is too high for us to reach.

Some months ago I purchased 2 Roku streaming sticks for our TV sets.
Cable Bill $154.00  each month and rising /  Roku purchase cost $45.00
once.
You can subscribe to some channels but there is really no need.

I loaded and logged on to Spotify on the TV set.
I have it on my computer as well.
I suggest it to you.

I "searched" for some of the most obscure cd titles or songs or artists.
On my computer I created folders for "friends" "People I worked with"
"Pianists I enjoyed" and so on.

  In seconds or minutes I had, by choice, 9 hrs of Carmen McRae, The
complete Sinatra Capitol Recordings, and so on

You can build your library by albums, by song titles, a mix to play all
day ..

So far, anything the wife and I looked for, we found
My school mates Sam Most, Zita Carno, Eddie Bert, Joe Newman ..

My teachers Sy Oliver (easy find), Dick Jacobs, Vittorio Giannini, Nick
Flagello
I know that except for Sy these names, you probably never heard of.

The Best Part
You don't load the songs on your hard drive. Many Megabytes each
Your computer only stores the "address"  but displays the Artist Title info
Maybe 60 bytes.

If you have a streaming device (Amazon, Roku and now Xfinity) it stores
the info.
You can set up Spotify to play  a list or an album or an artist or a mix
- minimize the program
(put it in the background) and write your emails, spread your spread
sheet, or put data into your data base while it it is playing.

You must subscribe to Spotify but there is no charge if you are willing
to put up with
commercials now and then.

I tried Pandora. I find I can relate to Spotify easier.
There are no videos!
If you have a "modern" TV remote or computer you can use voice commands
instead of typing.
If you find a track I am pretty sure it will never disappear.
Happy Fishing
Al