[Dixielandjazz] Acker Bilk in Poland

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 04:39:06 EDT 2020

Dear Bill,
Whatever Chilton says (I have the book), he speaks of the later band.  It
might have been 1956 (I left Poland in March 1957), but I believe it to
have been earlier.  Pity I have not written down what Acker himself told me
- he was very excited to meet someone who had actually attended one of his
concerts in Poland; after all, it was his first foreign tour!  To us, it
was a real event - our first chance to experience western musicians playing
there (there were perhaps two or three professional bands in Poland - small
wonder bearing  in mind until mid-1953 jazz was strictly forbidden).
After that there were many occasions, but it was too late for me.  As to
Acker, he visited Poland quite a few times, the last one not long before
his death.
Cheers,
Marek