[Dixielandjazz] Acker Bilk in Poland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 24 20:44:48 EDT 2020

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> While trying to ascertain the year of Acker's first visit to Poland, the only reference I could find was the correspondence at the end of this message,
> When I spoke to Bilk in 1992, he told me what the year was.  I thought it was '54, but I believe he made it a year later (it could have been '53 and '54 - I don't recall).
> 1958 - certainly not!  By then I was already in Israel, having left Poland in March 1957!

Good morning Marek,
John Chilton in his definitive 'Who's Who Of British Jazz' (2nd E. 2004) says (in part):

"[Acker Bil] ...After demobilisation formed own band which played regularly in Bristol. Moved to London, played for seven months with Ken Colyer], then, for domestic reasons, moved back to the West Country in late 1954. Again led Paramount Jazz Band in Bristol area; the band also visited Poland in the summer of 1956. Acker deputised in Bristol Stompers during early 1957, then resumed his own band. The band, with personnel changes, played a residency in London during the summer of 1957. It became fully professional in October 1957 and soon afterwards played dates in Dusseldorf, Germany."

As you will know the early Bilk Paramount Jazz Band recorded for Doug Dobell's  for 77 Records which he licensed or sold to other companies.
I have one of these (Presto released in 1965) featuring some of the Metro Club sessions in August & December 1957 with sleeve notes by Doug Dobell that include the following:

 "But the urge was strong to again form a band of his own, and so it was that the Paramount Jazz Band came into being in 1957. One of its first assignments was to go to Poland, and then, after a while back in London, they did a stint at the Beer Bar in Dusseldorf with quite a measure if success."

Based on the above, there were two trips to Poland. In mid 1956 and late 1957 - early 1958.
Kind regards,
Bill.