[Dixielandjazz] practicing your instrument

ART WOOD artwoo at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 02:55:49 EDT 2020

Thanks for bringing up the memory of Jim Beebe.
We struck up a friendship via the DJML as well.
I knew that he played with Bob Scobey when Bob was in Chicago...Jim was also good friends with Scobey's trombone player in the Bay Area, Jack Buck.
Jack had an understated gentleman's style which fit well into Scobey's strong lead.
Cigar smoking Jack was a good friend and had many stories to tell.
He was a veteran of the "dime jigs" aka taxi dances. Jack doubled on piano and told me that the guys on those gigs knew the music so well from repetition that to avoid boredom they switched instruments frequently...
I got to hear him play at the Rose Room in the 60's in Oakland, the last of the dime jigs. A trio that really put out.
Stay healthy!
Art Wood