[Dixielandjazz] Bob Milke RIP - Muggsy Spanier Video

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Apr 23 15:20:14 EDT 2020

Trombonist Bob Milke passed away last week. I believe he was 92 or so. Don’t have the details.

Bob was one of the trombonists on the Bob Scobey, Clancy Hayes  recording of Of All The Wrongs You’ve Done.

For many years he was the trombonist in the Oakland A’s Swingers band that played for all the Oakland A’s baseball games when Charlie Finley owned the team. They wore Oakland A’s uniforms and walked around the stadium playing in-between innings.

Here is a link to a Muggsy Spanier video in which Milke is filling in for the regular trombone player. This was Bob’s first gig with Muggsy. his trombone player got ill and was not available for this TV show. this was around the same time Pops Foster had moved to San Francisco, I believe. on this TV show you can see the clarinetist kinda coaching Bob through the tunes. The show was called Jazz Casual. It obviously was recorded in the early days of TV.

IMO the MC, Ralph Gleason, didn’t do a good interview at all. I got the  impression that the musicians thought that Gleason was asking a lot of dumb questions.

Musicians were: Muggsy Spanier tpt and leader, Darnell Howard CL, Bob Milke TBN, Joe Sullivan piano, Pops Foster bass, Earl Watkins drums.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/I31-stq7H6s

Bob Ringwald
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
www.ringwald.com

Home schooling going well – two students suspended for fighting, one teacher fired for drinking on the job!