[Dixielandjazz] Kelly and the "L" and music copyrights

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Mon Apr 20 21:54:53 EDT 2020

Hey! No problem. It's just that in me you're dealing with (probably) the
last person who ever sang all seven (or is it nine?) verses of "The Bowery,"
even if I remember only the first verse and chorus now.

As for "Who Threw The Overalls In Mistress Murphy's Chowder?" Why sure, and
it was herself.

Here's a bit of history which has been overlooked by most. The Volstead Act
went into effect in January, 1920. This start of the Prohibition Era in the
USA triggered a wave of songs about leaving the country to get a drink. Most
of them of course are not worth remembering, but a few could stand revival.
Irving Berlin's "I'll See You In C-U-B-A" can make a decent rumba as well as
being a nice novelty song. "Goodbye Broadway (Hello Montreal)" and "The
Alcoholic Blues" are two more good ones, and there must be more. Especially
in this 100th anniversary year, wouldn't it be nice to play them?

And now up onto the soap box:

Now is when we all have time to look up stuff which might come in handy. For
instance, most of the old "pop" songs jazz bands play have verses. The older
the tune, the more likely it is that the verses (and there usually are at
least two) are a lot more than just an introduction to the chorus. The whole
story of "Bill Bailey..." is in the verses. Even if you don't sing, the
verse to "Sweet Georgia Brown" makes an excellent interlude into the out
chorus. The verse to "Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet" is longer and musically
better than the chorus.

I think what triggered this outburst is that a local trumpet player was
completely surprised when I informed him he had left out the entire first
half of "Milneburg Joys." Which he had, in New Orleans! (In case anyone
doesn't know, there really is a neighborhood here named "Milneburg." And
yes, that is the correct spelling.)

End soap box.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com