[Dixielandjazz] practicing your instrument

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon Apr 20 12:49:02 EDT 2020

As usual I have my daily "honk" on my trombone on any day that I'm not
gigging.  And, since no gatherings at all are allowed in Spain now, that
daily practice is REALLY daily!  However, it doesn't necessarily just mean
playing on my own, as I have a large collection of music I can play along
with.  Yesterday, I put on a cd of Jim Beebe's Chicago Jazz Band.  Before
Jim passed away a few years ago, I became friends with him on DJML.  We
ended up swapping cds.  I was really pleased when he complimented me by
saying he normally didn't get into triple tonguing , and he had noticed I
used that technique a bit on my recording.  Nice to get a compliment from
someone as well respected as Jim was.is still!

So, while playing along with his band, I had the thought that fans of our
kind of music (such as Marek and others on this great list) have the
opportunity to listen to Jazz these days on recordings, we musicians are
luckier..we get to "join in" with any band just by putting on a recording
and getting our horns out!

Good to look at the good side of this isolation we are all having to go
through!

Jim