[Dixielandjazz] Sheet music sources

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Fri Apr 17 22:20:08 EDT 2020

I don’t know the origin of the song. it can’t be “a Confederate Song.” The Confederate forces may have adopted it and used it, but it wasn’t written for them because it was copyrighted in 1858, when the Confederacy didn’t yet exist,

The copyright notice is the one required in that era:

            “Entered according to act of Congress 1858 by Firth, Pond & Co.”

This means that Firth, Pond & Co, the publisher, copyrighted this piece in 1858.

Jim O’Briant

Tuba / Leader

The Zinfandel Stompers Vintage Jazz Band