[Dixielandjazz] Sheet music sources

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Sat Apr 18 18:47:38 EDT 2020

That song predates the Confederacy by at least two years. The copyright date
is 1858.

We tend to forget how slow communications were before the telegraph lines
were strung. Before the railroad, the most rapid inland message moved no
faster than a galloping horse. With the railroad, speed jumped up a lot
because the train needs to stop between major stations only for fuel and
boiler water, but the transcontinental railroad only came about in  1869.
And the transcontinental railroad did not serve all that many cities. A
transoceanic letter moved on a sailing ship, and  most sailing ships took at
least a month to get between New York and Europe. All that meant that
official business had to be done as locally as possible. That meant you
filed your paperwork with the nearest federal office and got a dated
receipt, and they forwarded stuff to Washington.

By the way, things are not much better now at the Copyright Office. The
turnaround time from initially filing the form to actually getting your
certificate of copyright registration can be more than two years.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

"And God promised man that good and
obedient wives would be found in all