[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan

Ken w. knejtlaw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 19:22:24 EST 2019

There is a great hearing exercise that ensemble trombone players do.  It
takes 3 bones.  The first player plays the root of a chord and the
second plays the fifth.  The fifth has to be fudged to get to the Just
intonation (fractional), but you can hear when it happens.  The third
player adds the third, adjusting to get it in tune.  The chords sound
magical when they are correctly in tune (Just, not Tempered).  The third
is dropped to a minor and then the fifth is dropped to a diminished
chord, all the while adjusting to keep things in tune.  The root player
then drops a semitone to produce the next lower major chord, and so on.
Playing all 12 tones in this manor is a great warm up for the lips and ears.