[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 18:43:39 EST 2019

I became aware of differences in tuning when singing. A pianist I played
with liked to finish a tune by playing I - bVI7-I. If we were in the key of
C, that would be C-Ab-C. If I held the note C, I could feel a physical
"pull" in my larynx when the Ab chord was played, even though the note C
was the same. My instincts were that the note was not the same over an Ab
chord. When the chord of C was again sounded, the tension in my larynx
resolved.
Joe Carbery.