[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Mon Nov 18 17:30:31 EST 2019

That is an example of the difference between "Tempered" tuning and "Just"
tuning.

It happens because our nervous system does not really want to hear
absolutely even percentage differences of frequency going from one tone to
another, but a simple mechanical device can't be made to "tweak" tuning "on
the fly" without becoming hopelessly complicated.

So a G Sharp is really a very sharp G, but not quite up to halfway in
frequency between G and A, and an A Flat is really a very flat A, but not
quite down to halfway in frequency between A and G. So really, every time
you modulate between keys, you should stop and retune all keyboard and
fretted instruments. Good luck with that. In reality, adjacent keys in the
cycle of fifths are only a teeny bit different in frequencies, so you can
usually get away with sliding around between, for example, F, C, and G. But
the farther afield you go from your base tuning (C in this case), the more
out of pitch you sound.

This is why some keyboard instruments such as harpsichords had multiple
manuals. Each manual could have its own strings tuned to a given key.

Even before J. S. Bach (died in 1750), efforts were underway to get around
this problem. Eventually it was figured out that if you make all the sharps
a tiny bit sharper and all the flats a tiny bit flatter, you can use one key
or fret for both the G Sharp and the A Flat and so on. And most of the
audience can't tell the difference. However, a good musician can hear it.
The error gets worse the farther from the center of the keyboard you go.

You can demonstrate it for yourself using a freshly tuned high quality piano
or (better) a high quality electric keyboard which is set to "Equal Tempered
Tuning."
Strike any key which sounds in the middle of your voice range. Strike it
several times to set the pitch in your mind. Now, starting on that pitch,
sing the child's "I know more than you do" chant: "Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah,
ny-ah, ny--ah." Try to find the last "Ny--ah" on the keyboard. The
difference in pitch between your voice "Ny--ah" and the closest tone on the
keyboard is the difference between "Just" and "Equal Tempered" tuning. Your
nervous system, left to itself, will use its own frequency choices, not
something designed for a machine.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

"Only two things are infinite: