[Dixielandjazz] Questions about laws regarding musicians and segregation

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 18:00:24 EST 2019

Hello Bert,
The Northern States had no segregation laws, which is not to say they
didn't practise segregation.
In the Southern States the laws varied.  One black musician, I believe Don
Albert, opened a racially mixed club in Texas.  The police closed it down,
Don Albert took  the case to a State Court - and won!  It turned out that
Texas laws did not prohibit it, probably because it had not occurred to it
legislators that anybody might have even  thought of such a thing.
Musicians Union was segregated throughout, except for the New York chapter;
however, even there, black musicians established their own union, any many
black musicians ended up paying membership fees to both!
Cheers