[Dixielandjazz] Questions about laws regarding musicians andsegregation

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Nov 12 02:49:52 EST 2019

The Civil Rights Law of 1964 under Pres. Lyndon Johnson effectively made segregation illegal throuhhout the nation. To see the range of the law, go to https://www.crf-usa.org/black-history-month/the-civil-rights-act-of-1964. Prior to that there were many court cases about segregation in particular areas (education, transportation, etc.) , with varying outcomes (e.g., Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, Brown v Board of Education) but the sweeping 1974 law was the watershed event. It didn't put an end to racial prejudice, of course.

New Orleans, as usual, marched to different drummers. My brother Don and I played from the late 40s into the desegregation years. The New Orleans Jazz Club (esp. Doc Souchon) flaunted the law often with impunity, as did Sid Davilla at his Bourbon Street club and modern jazz cats like Benny Clement, Earl Palmer, Bill Huntington, Al Belletto, Mike Serpas, Don, and me (but the the cops beat Mike up one night for sitting in with a black band). There were others, I'm sure, but I can't recall them now, and there were many I didn't know about. It was less risky for whites to sit in with blacks because the police weren't hip enough to know the black sites. The issue is treated at several points in my book Jazz in New Orleans: the Postwar Years through 1960. Jason Berry's terrific new comprehensive history of New Orleans, City of a Million Dreams, includes a lot about the city's complex race relations over 300 years.

I now live in Montgomery, Alabama, which of course has a deep history of slavery and, since the 1950s, a brilliant civil rights history. Everywhere, this is a work in progress, challenged by the re-emergence of hate groups. We keep pluggin'.

Charles