[Dixielandjazz] Questions about laws regarding musicians and segregation

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 12 15:26:44 EST 2019

> On 12 Nov 2019 Bert <mister_bertje at hotmail.com> wrote:
> In nearly all books about the history of Jazz music the subject of segregation and it's impact on jazz and jazz musicians comes forward.
> But nowhere I can find what the laws/rules actually were exactly....
> 	• was it officially forbidden for white and black musicians to share a stage? If yes, was it actively enforced? (Like prohobition, it was law, but not all the States did actually enforce the law)
> 	• was it the same in all the states?
> 	• To share a stage during jam sessions was not illegal for musicians from different backgrounds?
> 	• is there a certain timeframe when these regulations/laws started/ended?

Dear Bert,
From my reading and research over the years, I have concluded that it was a segregation thing, rather than specific US state and federal laws.
My own research also indicates that the white musicians' unions were involved as far back as the late 1800s-early 1900s.
The following links make interesting reading.

Tough On Black Asses
https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1052&context=historical-perspectives

Racial Segregation and the San Francisco Musicians’ Union, 1923–60
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/Miller/JSAM_Miller-Segr&SFUnion.pdf

NEGRO MUSICIANS’ UNION, LOCAL 493, SEATTLE
https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/local-493-negro-musicians-union-seattle/

Inside the Oldest Labor Union for Black Musicians
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-oldest-labor-union-for-black-musicians

Union Local 274, American Federation of Musicians Historical Marker
https://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-153

The Black Musician and the White City
https://www.press.umich.edu/3974910/black_musician_and_the_white_city

Kind regards,