[Dixielandjazz] Dave Bennett

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 8 18:15:17 EST 2019

Great to see the name. I got in early when it was obvious the man stood or played head and shoulders above the rest of the band on whose CD he appeared, which fell through my letter box when reviewing more than a dozen years ago.

The Hot Club of Detroit were some way behind the Seattle Hot Club Sandwich band whose Green Room was a stunning ensemble debut, but I would have compared young master Bennett with some post-Goodman performers of around 1950. Some listmates might find him cooler in style than their heroes, He does not sound conspicuously self-taught, but there is ample opportunity to find samples of his playing on-line.
and all the very best to him!
Robert R. Calder