[Dixielandjazz] Clarifying Sitting or Standing...

Ross Anderson rossanmjband at iprimus.com.au
Tue Feb 19 15:32:48 EST 2019

Spot On , Rocky ,

People hear what they see !!!

Cheers, Ross

NMJBand in Australia

From: Rocky Ball [mailto:superbanjo at mindspring.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 19 February 2019 6:36 PM
To: rossanmjband at iprimus.com.au
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Clarifying Sitting or Standing...

Hey Folks:

Let me CLARIFY my comments of last week regarding "sitting or standing."
(Thanks to my friend Jim Kashishian for pointing out how the subject matter
can move into another 'lane' over time! :)

I wasn't suggesting that anyone develop a choreographed show and do some
gymnastics while trying to play, or signal directions, or clue intros and
endings, etc.

All I was saying was...

If you are playing in front of an audience you are playing a "show".... how
much "show" you want to put into it is entirely your decision. After many
years of staging "shows" (to include jazz bands as well as instrumental
music, choreography and vocal acts) I've discovered that there is an ART and
a SCIENCE to entertaining people without regard to the genre of music being
performed. Here is some of what I have learned... use as much or as little
of it as you like:

If you are sitting you are generally less interesting (visually) than the
same band playing the same music while standing. Sitting or standing are not
the only factors that can make your performance more entertaining. Playing
good music at a high level of skill is very important. Interacting with the
audience through your announcements, song introductions, and even 'patter'
is very important. Finding ways to interject humor into the evening is
important. Interspersing fast, medium tempo, and slow music (so that you
don't play too many of the same tempo in a row) is very important. Building
your sets so they look like a roller coaster with regard to energy is
important (try starting high, have a few dips here and there for a contrast
of slow tunes or blues and build the excitement to a strong, energetic
finish... although this is general rule of thumb it can be done differently
with the right mix of tunes). Dress nicely if you're in a nice venue...
dress down if you're in a dive or a barn(!) Remember that only in the rarest
occasions is everyone in your audience a musicologist (or jazz historian)
and some of those people will know every tune you're playing and some will
have not heard ANY of them before... find a way to entertain both ends of
the spectrum!

I'm not saying you HAVE to stand or you HAVE to sit or you HAVE to be funny
or you HAVE to be serious... but all of those things will have an effect on
your audience in some way. You can overcome many of the deficits of sitting
by energizing up other aspects of the performance. The most IMPORTANT aspect
you can do to improve the "show" is to let the audience know that you really
enjoy what you're doing up there... if you are excited about the music and
the playing they will be excited, as well! Let your excitement show in your
demeanor and expression!

~Rocky Ball, banjo, Ruby Reds Band - Atlanta

http://www.RubyRedsBand.com