[Dixielandjazz] Clarifying Sitting or Standing...

Madison T maditayl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:23:06 EST 2019

These are great points Rocky and I I'd have to agree with everything you've
said so far. Let me add one perspective.

I originally decided I actually wanted to start playing jazz when I
discovered the band Tuba Skinny. I had seen a few other trad bands on
YouTube but I was always a little put off by the performance aspect of
them. When I would see some guys trying hard to impress the crowd it made
me feel like the music was just one big hokey gimmick. Now theres nothing
wrong with gimmicks or being hokey but at that time I was a bit younger
(I'm 28 now) and was overly concerned with being percieved as "cool". For
me, tuba skinny's overly cold demeanor now feels a bit excessive but like
any other dramatized performance I believe it serves a purpose, whether
they intended it to or not. Watching them made me feel like the music
wasn't old. I didnt feel like they were trying to remind the crowd that
they were playing antiquated music and that's why it should be
interesting.  This functions to take the music out of its most widely known
context, which sadly right now is Gatsby themed birthday parties and
"roaring 20s" sock hops.

By showing up dressed however they want, sitting down and just playing the
tunes really well, I feel that they are saying "this is every day, every
people, any situation, Normal, timeless, average American music". Stop
waiting for thanksgiving to eat cranberry sauce. Put it on a plate next to
your ribs and greens any day of the week, that shits delicious. And I
totally fell in love with that idea.

Now obviously theres a massive spectrum between tuba skinny and big bad
voodoo daddy styles of showmanship,  but just like you said, I dont think
theres a wrong way to do it if the music is good. It's just about how much
you want to do, how you want to appeal to the crowd, and how concerned you
are with the "success of a particular show" but in the end I think theres a
case to be made for a minimalist performance (especially with its appeal to
a younger generation) and overall I think its healthy for the genre.

So that's why I'm sittin. And also my playing sucks standing up haha.

-Madison