[Dixielandjazz] Clarifying Sitting or Standing...

Rocky Ball superbanjo at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 19 02:36:24 EST 2019

Hey Folks:

Let me CLARIFY my comments of last week regarding "sitting or standing." (Thanks to my friend Jim Kashishian for pointing out how the subject matter can move into another 'lane' over time! :)

I wasn't suggesting that anyone develop a choreographed show and do some gymnastics while trying to play, or signal directions, or clue intros and endings, etc.

All I was saying was...

If you are playing in front of an audience you are playing a "show".... how much "show" you want to put into it is entirely your decision. After many years of staging "shows" (to include jazz bands as well as instrumental music, choreography and vocal acts) I've discovered that there is an ART and a SCIENCE to entertaining people without regard to the genre of music being performed. Here is some of what I have learned... use as much or as little of it as you like:

If you are sitting you are generally less interesting (visually) than the same band playing the same music while standing. Sitting or standing are not the only factors that can make your performance more entertaining. Playing good music at a high level of skill is very important. Interacting with the audience through your announcements, song introductions, and even 'patter' is very important. Finding ways to interject humor into the evening is important. Interspersing fast, medium tempo, and slow music (so that you don't play too many of the same tempo in a row) is very important. Building your sets so they look like a roller coaster with regard to energy is important (try starting high, have a few dips here and there for a contrast of slow tunes or blues and build the excitement to a strong, energetic finish... although this is general rule of thumb it can be done differently with the right mix of tunes). Dress nicely if you're in a nice venue... dress down if you're in a dive or a barn(!) Remember that only in the rarest occasions is everyone in your audience a musicologist (or jazz historian) and some of those people will know every tune you're playing and some will have not heard ANY of them before... find a way to entertain both ends of the spectrum!

I'm not saying you HAVE to stand or you HAVE to sit or you HAVE to be funny or you HAVE to be serious... but all of those things will have an effect on your audience in some way. You can overcome many of the deficits of sitting by energizing up other aspects of the performance. The most IMPORTANT aspect you can do to improve the "show" is to let the audience know that you really enjoy what you're doing up there... if you are excited about the music and the playing they will be excited, as well! Let your excitement show in your demeanor and expression!

~Rocky Ball, banjo, Ruby Reds Band - Atlanta
http://www.RubyRedsBand.com