[Dixielandjazz] a sensible set list

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Tue Feb 19 14:09:18 EST 2019

Rocky wrote:

>Interspersing fast, medium tempo, and slow music (so that you don't play
too many of the same tempo in a row) is very important.

We go a step further and make sure we don’t follow a tune in F, for example,
with another song in F.  Dunno if it makes a difference to the audience, but
it helps the band not end up mixing one tune with another.  Try playing an
up-tempo Margie followed by Avalon, for instance, and you´ve got a good
chance of some band member slipping back into playing Margie during his
solo!!  Not really the best of examples, as we wouldn’t probably ever follow
one fast tune by another, but the mixing of tunes has happened to the best
of us (if you’re willing to admit it!)

For a 45 minute set, I usually do (or something close to the following):

1.	Fast instrumental
2.	Medium, with vocal
3.	Fast instrumental
4.	Slow, maybe with vocal
5.	Medium fast instrumental
6.	Medium instrumental or with vocal
7.	Fast instrumental

Here’s a list from a past two set (45 min per set) gig:

Jeepers Creepers                            Bb

All of Me (vocal)                              C

Who’s Sorry Now                            Bb

Georgia on My Mind (vocal)       F

Muscat Ramble                                Ab

Sunnyside (vocal)                           C

Flintstones                                        Eb

Hello Dolly (vocal)                           C

Bye Bye Blackbird                           F

Hindustan                                          C

Closer Walk (vocal)                        Bb

Glenn Miller Medley                     Eb/Ab

Found a New Baby                         F

This was for a non-jazz crowd at a restaurant where some people might dance.

Jim