[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan - lISTEN tO tHIS

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Fri Dec 13 19:01:17 EST 2019

Hi Charlie, Thanks for the help. It took me three months to figure out a
way to demonstrate what I have sung, and taught to my students for the
past 50 years. (actually 69 years).

To "cut to the chase" a) music (notes) are created by vibrations. 440
times a second for example. Between 440 and 441 there are an infinite
number of vibrations. 440.001, 440.0007 etc.

I completely forgot that many of today's keyboards have a pitch wheel.
(I always played piano, I play at keyboard). This morning I did a lot of
research.

I found the answer buried in an obscure foot note. My last email proves
to people who can hear that quarter tones exist an for instance F# and
Gb are NOT the same. If I use chords it ma be more obvious.

In 1948 I worked at a Syrian "Arabic" hotel. I heard zyther playing for
the first time and fell in love with the mid-eastern scales. Aside from
studying with, and working for, Sy Oliver, Dick Jacobs amd Johnny
Warrington - All 3 gave me arranging lessons, I studied with Ludmella
Uhlehla (not a jazz name) Vittorio Giannini, Nick Flagello, Tibor Serly,
John Lewis (MJQ) et. al. Got my Bachelors and Masters of Music on the
same day from Manhattan School Of Music.  My post graduate studies were
at Columbia University. I "Ghost" wrote music for Dean Kincaide, Raymond
Scott and quite a few others.

Enough about me. I beg to differ... Jazz players are very aware of the
different sounds. They don't need a great education. They do need EARS.

One of the most important playing with ensembles is to listen. I will
create a small MP3 of the five tones. Maybe next week I'll figure out
two chord progressions to help guide some who say they can't hear the
difference. They can but it is so natural the listener does not take the
time to identify the sounds. So What!

Cheers,

Al