[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan - lISTEN tO tHIS

Charles & Jane Freeman mobychuck at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 17:00:14 EST 2019

Dear Al -

I couldn’t open your file, but I’ll weigh in anyway.

Music theory makes a distinction between the notes of flat key scales (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb) and and the notes of sharp key scales (G, D, A, E, B, and C#) and this distinction is important for written music.  Only orchestra players will tell you they can hear a difference — sharp keys being slightly brighter than flat keys — and orchestras do tune up and do shade their notes slightly differently for pieces written sharp keys than for pieces in flat keys When they are playing piano concerto, however, they tune to the piano, an instrument that makes no difference between C# and Db.

Unless you have perfect pitch, I can virtually guarantee that you'll never hear a difference. Jazz players certainly don’t make any distinction, except that they tend to prefer to play tunes in flat keys (especially Bb, Eb, and Ab) which fit the transposition needs of the reed and brass players. Rock, blues, and pop groups prefer sharp keys (especially G, A, and E) because the open strings of guitars fit sharp keys.

Hope this helps.

-charlie freeman