[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:30:49 EDT 2018

Work really IS the curse of the working class!
On the last day of March three friends and I went to hear Eli and the
Chocolate Factory in Tel-Aviv.  We met another friend there. The band, in
addition to the usual culprits, featured Jess Koren on tenor sax.  The
performance was hot and very informal - great atmosphere!  With Jess, it
was more swing-oriented.  At a later stage Merton Cahm joined on the
soprano sax -  not his usual instrument, but he plays it very well.  A
lovely evening of jot, swinging jazz.  And the place (which stretches over
two sides of the street) serves good beer, too; unfortunately, for the
craft beer one had to go to the other part of the bar, where one could not
hear the music played (they have piped music there, not OKOM).
Last Monday, 11th July, a friend and I went to hear the Isradixie Band.  A
completely different proposition.  That very well disciplined band plays
excellent arrangements of his leader, Avram Felder (trumpet an flugelhorn).
Good solos abound.  If you have followed my postings over the year, you
know that I am Jacques Sany's groupie.  He was in excellent form, as
always.  So was the other octogenarian, Merton Cahm (on clarinet and tenor
sax, the instruments we're used to hear him play).  Jacques also sang
several French songs.  The surprise of the evening was Feder's singing (in
Russian).  I have known him for something like 40 years (he came to Israel
in 1976), and this was the first time I've heard him singing!
Cheers