[Dixielandjazz] IAJRC Announcement of Dissolution

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Feb 3 02:37:25 EST 2018

Hello, Listmates— A few of you are likely IAJRC (International Association of Jazz Record Collectors) members. Others might have heard of the organization. The sad  announcement of dissolution below just arrived. It's not a journal for the average jazz fan but its articles mainly dealt with meticulous discographical data, personnel of innumerable bands, and other scholarly matters, but written in a reader-friendly manner. The writers were seldom university scholars but very skilled hobbyists who had the rigor of academic researchers. The journal also included some book reviews and an extremely  large section of record reviews, not just reissues but also CDs by lesser known musicians, from traditional to contemporary. There latter, frankly, seemed to me less distinctive and valuable than the unique historical materials. I first heard of the journal it many years ago when the late Gilbert Erskine, one of the cofounders of the N.O. Jazz Club and himself a model of the passionate lay expert, sent me a complimentary year's subscription. The jazz world is diminished by its passing, and I will miss it greatly.

Charlie