[Dixielandjazz] Forrie Cairns and Cy (was Wally Fawkes Birthday)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:11:17 EDT 2017

On 26 June 2017 at 17:25, Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> 'Trad' was the commercial boom that came during the '50s when you didn't
> need much talent to get rich.

I know what YOU mean by "trad."  And British jazz critics of the day.  At
its worst, it sounded like banjo with instrumental accompaniment.  But
there were some fine bands, like your Merseys, or the Alan Elsdon's band I
repeatedly heard at the Jazzshows Jazz Club band in 1964.  And many many
others,  But to the general public, even bands like Welsh's and Randall's
were "trad."  Even a younger musician like Ken refers to them that way.
To confuse the issue, the term is now used in the States as well, referring
to the banjo and tuba bands, while the British ones usually had a double
bass.  Nit-picking and pigeonholing is not taking us anywhere,

> It was the age of 'gimmicks' - bowler hats etc.

Bowler hats and ridiculous waistcoats was what Acker's band wore,  I heard
many with no uniform.  The "gimmick" came at a later stage - in Poland his
band had "normal" attire (if I remember properly - it was over 60 years ago
- he wore a black shirt, while the others wore white).

> Chris Barber's1949 band was not trad and was in fact one of his most
> interesting. It had Ben Cohen on cornet (there were two cornets) and a good
> clarinet player).

The clarinet player in that band was Alex Revell.

> Chris didn't compromise, and although parallel to it, didn't play 'trad'.

Be it as it may, he was considered one of the great "Three B's of trad, as
reflected by several albums with that banner.

> Nor did Humph, of course. After Humph, Past Halcox was the outstanding
> trumpeter in that field. Chris was always an accomplished musician,  while
> the 'trad' fellows tended to learn on the job, as far as they were able to.

Perhaps.  But Elsdon went on to become one of the major figures of British
jazz, as did others.  Acker used the ridiculous 18th century outfit to the
end, which did not detract from his music.
Cheers