[Dixielandjazz] The Later Than I Thought Cy Laurie

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 11:57:52 EDT 2017

Cy worked with bands of his own as well as with other bands.  I, by the
way, did not like everything he did - too much "show" music (I don't mean
"showy," but rather music from musicals, with singers and all).
He definitely remained a Dodds man, but should that disqualify him?  He did
not copy Dodds - he played with a similar style, which I, for one, consider
very commendable, and sounded original (I can mention some British players
who do so even now, and do so extremely well; I am less conversant with
contemporary American scene).
Since you know how I feel about Getz (De Franco is more complicated), I
consider that part of your letter to be a provocation, and I refuse to be
provoked.
Cheers