[Dixielandjazz] The Later Than I Thought Cy Laurie

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Jun 25 11:35:48 EDT 2017

Well, Maryk, I hope you enjoy today, for it is the first occasion that I
remember having to give best to you!
I had thought that Cy Laurie, who gave up playing jazz in 1960 when he
went off to India to try and sort himself out, had died late in that
decade. Looking him up today I find that he survived a lot longer. I
knew that he came back,though he didn't seem to work as much, which is
probably why I never heard of his later sporadic efforts (there was no
reason why I would have been interested). Did he stop being a
Dodds-copyist by that time? I cannot tell. But judging by the yardstick
that he still worked with Beryl Bryden in the '90s, I imagine that he
remained in his Dodds jump-suit.
I look forward to being amazed when I find out that I am wrong and that
he in fact became a disciple of Buddy De Franco and collector of Stan
Getz records. No doubt you will disabuse me.
The other thing I had forgotten was that I first met Fred Hunt when he
shone like a pillar of fire in the night of the Cy Laurie Four - no
doubt he was the reason I went to see it again.
Steve Voce

On 25/06/2017 14:08, Marek Boym wrote:

> On 25 June 2017 at 11:56, Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com
> <mailto:stevevoce at virginmedia.com>> wrote:
>

>     I went to concerts in the early days when Cy Laurie had his
>     'Four'. One of his four was Beryl Bryden and another was a rather
>     good trumpet player, whose name I can't remember (it was in the
>     Fifties). I think it was Les.
>
>     With regard to my being rude about Cy's clarinet work: I remember
>     him as a very docile but enthusiastic fellow. But I was unhappy
>     with his playing nothing but the closest copy that he could get to
>     Johnny Dodds. So I didn't like his playing and implied so in my
>     e-mail.
>
> "Implied," Steve?
> The language you used was hardly that!
> So basically you have not heard Cy since the beginning of the '50's,
> you are not aware of his development, but you pass judgement, render a
> severe sentence, and call that "implying."
> Cheers
> The trumpeter, by the way, was Les Jowett.
>

>     I didn't like the singing of Vera Lynn or Bill Haley and the
>     Comets. Or Beryl Bryden, come to that. Henry VIII was regarded as
>     a great king, but I didn't like him.
>
>     Am I not allowed to say so?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Steve
>

>     On 24/06/2017 23:00, Bill Haesler wrote:
>>     Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com
>>     <mailto:stevevoce at virginmedia.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     You shouldn't leave out the great Archie Semple, and Acker Bilk
>>>     was ten times the jazz musician your pal Cy Laurie was! Not to
>>>     mention any of the fine modern clarinettists or the extremely
>>>     skilled Sid Phillips. There are many more in your field, of
>>>     course, who it would pain to omit - Christie, Turner, the
>>>     ci-devant Danny Polo....
>>>
>>     Dear Steve,
>>     Danny Polo?
>>     Born in Clinton, Indiana, died in Chicago, Illinois (1901-1949)
>>     and worked and recorded in England in the 1930s.
>>     Why include him on a list of British jazz revival clarinettists?
>>
>>     And why single out Cy Laurie for unnecessary insult?
>>     ("Cy Laurie, on the other hand, was a nutter who genuinely
>>     believed that he was the reincarnation of Johnny Dodds. He might
>>     have got away with that if he had been as good as Johnny Dodds,
>>     but unfortunately he was only as good as Cy Laurie.”)
>>     Cy was a very popular Trad jazz pioneer who contributed to its
>>     success, inspired and captivated by Johnny Dodds’ playing.
>>     I found Cy to be a passionate and friendly jazzman, and felt
>>     privileged to play with him and pianist Johnny Parker on several
>>     of my visits to Pomgolia.
>>>
>>>     But don't let us start making lists again. It's non-productive,
>>>     like stamp collecting.
>>>
>>     In that, I wholehearted agree with you.
>>     Cheers,
>>     Bill.

>     <#m_-1867693049602389383_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

>     Dixielandjazz mailing list
> [...]

---
http://www.avg.com