[Dixielandjazz] Wally Fawkes a birthday greeting

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 24 18:00:13 EDT 2017

Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com <mailto:stevevoce at virginmedia.com>> wrote:
> You shouldn't leave out the great Archie Semple, and Acker Bilk was ten times the jazz musician your pal Cy Laurie was! Not to mention any of the fine modern clarinettists or the extremely skilled Sid Phillips. There are many more in your field, of course, who it would pain to omit - Christie, Turner, the ci-devant Danny Polo....

Dear Steve,
Danny Polo?
Born in Clinton, Indiana, died in Chicago, Illinois (1901-1949) and worked and recorded in England in the 1930s.
Why include him on a list of British jazz revival clarinettists?

And why single out Cy Laurie for unnecessary insult?
("Cy Laurie, on the other hand, was a nutter who genuinely believed that he was the reincarnation of Johnny Dodds. He might have got away with that if he had been as good as Johnny Dodds, but unfortunately he was only as good as Cy Laurie.”)
Cy was a very popular Trad jazz pioneer who contributed to its success, inspired and captivated by Johnny Dodds’ playing.
I found Cy to be a passionate and friendly jazzman, and felt privileged to play with him and pianist Johnny Parker on several of my visits to Pomgolia.
> But don't let us start making lists again. It's non-productive, like stamp collecting.

In that, I wholehearted agree with you.
Cheers,
Bill.