[Dixielandjazz] Wally Fawkes a birthday greeting

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Jun 25 04:56:23 EDT 2017

Thank you Bill.

Danny Polo? 'Ci-devant' means 'once was'. As in 'lived a long time in
England, but originally was  American'. I should use better vocabulary.

I went to concerts in the early days when Cy Laurie had his 'Four'. One
of his four was Beryl Bryden and another was a rather good trumpet
player, whose name I can't remember (it was in the Fifties). I think it
was Les.

With regard to my being rude about Cy's clarinet work: I remember him as
a very docile but enthusiastic fellow. But I was unhappy with his
playing nothing  but the closest copy that he could get to Johnny Dodds.
So I didn't like his playing and implied so in my e-mail.  I didn't like
the singing of Vera Lynn or Bill Haley and the Comets. Or Beryl Bryden,
come to that. Henry VIII was regarded as a great king, but I didn't like
him.

Am I not allowed to say so?

Regards,

Steve

On 24/06/2017 23:00, Bill Haesler wrote:
> Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com
> <mailto:stevevoce at virginmedia.com>> wrote:
>>
>> You shouldn't leave out the great Archie Semple, and Acker Bilk was
>> ten times the jazz musician your pal Cy Laurie was! Not to mention
>> any of the fine modern clarinettists or the extremely skilled Sid
>> Phillips. There are many more in your field, of course, who it would
>> pain to omit - Christie, Turner, the ci-devant Danny Polo....
>>
> Dear Steve,
> Danny Polo?
> Born in Clinton, Indiana, died in Chicago, Illinois (1901-1949) and
> worked and recorded in England in the 1930s.
> Why include him on a list of British jazz revival clarinettists?
>
> And why single out Cy Laurie for unnecessary insult?
> ("Cy Laurie, on the other hand, was a nutter who genuinely believed
> that he was the reincarnation of Johnny Dodds. He might have got away
> with that if he had been as good as Johnny Dodds, but unfortunately he
> was only as good as Cy Laurie.”)
> Cy was a very popular Trad jazz pioneer who contributed to its
> success, inspired and captivated by Johnny Dodds’ playing.
> I found Cy to be a passionate and friendly jazzman, and felt
> privileged to play with him and pianist Johnny Parker on several of my
> visits to Pomgolia.
>>
>> But don't let us start making lists again. It's non-productive, like
>> stamp collecting.
>>
> In that, I wholehearted agree with you.
> Cheers,
> Bill.