[Dixielandjazz] Bill Evans: "Autumn Leaves"

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jul 26 16:10:11 EDT 2017

Hi, Norm and DJML folks—

How did Bill Evans come from New Jersey to study at Southeastern La. U. in Hammond? In my  book "Jazz in New Orleans—The Postwar Years Through 1970" (pp. 228-9),  I wrote from interviews with Ralph Pottle, Jr, and Ron Nethercutt and other sources that Pottle's father, head of the music department, was the primary recruiter and "a vigorous respected, open-minded leader." The school gave partial scholarships for the dance band, a rarity in the early 1950s (though Loyola also did). Two of the players in Evans' local trio, bassist Condit Atkin and drummer Frank Wrobel were also from New Jersey, so Potter, Sr., must have had strong connections there. Other fine modernists at Southeastern around that time were New Orleans trumpeters Mike Serpas and Herb Tassin; drummer Bobby DeSio,  alto saxist Oscar Davis, and bassist Lou Chemay. Earlier, guitarist Mundell Lowe and bassist Red Mitchell were in Hammond. The book also reports on postwar jazz activity in N.O. and Baton Rouge universities as well as the underground modern jazz scene in N.O. and Biloxi. Earlier sections deal at length with postwar jazz by first generation and Dixieland players.

Norm, I don't recall hearing the name of John Venetozzi as Evans' teacher. Is he alive and well in Pensacola? I have a folder for revisions to the book, which is definitely in mind but not highest on my bucket list of projects. I’ll get to it if I live to be 112, which I fully expect (at least, if Satan keeps his part of the deal).

Charlie