[Dixielandjazz] FW: Summary-- first jazz recording and speculation of origin of word jass

Tony Orr orr.tony at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 04:27:20 EDT 2017

The ODJB is classified as a jazz band but they were a "cover" band which
made a success out of presenting music played in New Orleans earlier by
other musicians who were not recorded. Has anybody yet found the rumoured
cylinder by Buddy Bolden? I'd like to nominate Kid Ory's Sunshine Orchestra
with Mutt Carey who recorded in Las Angeles in 1922. "Ory's Creole
Trombone" for instance.

Tony Orr
Melbourne