[Dixielandjazz] FW: Summary-- first jazz recording and speculation of origin of word jass

Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 02:53:50 EDT 2017

As a musicologist with deep jazz credentials, I have listened to all of the significant early recordings. I took it a step further than anyone seems to have done, and transcribed “ODJB One Step” and “Livery Stable Blues”. There is no doubt in my mind that the ODJB made the first “Jass” in 1917. The others before it are clearly peppy novelty music drawing upon the superficial aspects of ragtime. The ODJB went beyond that by incorporating aspects of the blues, NOLA parade band music, Caribbean rhythms, Italian tarantella, and most importantly, nascent swing. Improvisation was minimal on those first two sides - because of the requirements for the success of the recording - and attached to that was certainly anxiety caused by the pressure to be successful. Trombonist, Edwards and drummer, Sbarbaro improvise the most.

Proof is that the bourgeoning jazz community recognized the ODJB as a jazz band playing jazz. Their influence profoundly inspired those such as Bix, Benny, Red, Phil and even Louis Armstrong. Further proof is that their compositions have remained a staple in the repertoire for ~~~ exactly 100 years, so far.

Anybody who disagrees will have to tell me who was influenced by Wilbur Sweatman and who still plays his repertoire.

I will allow this: W.C. Handy wrote some engaging pieces which were beautifully arranged, interpreted and recorded prior to the ODJB's by such as the Victor Military Band and Prince’s Band. However, they are not jazz. Handy’s own recordings of that time are frankly awful. Some of James P. Johnson’s early recordings are very interesting, but as with other early African American pianists recording prior to 1917, the idiom is clearly ragtime or novelty music.

Cheers,

Andrew Homzy
180 Pirates Lane
Nanaimo, BC