[Dixielandjazz] FW: Summary-- first jazz recording and speculation of origin of word jass

Stan Brager stanbrager at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 01:31:40 EDT 2017

We've once more . opened this can of worms regarding the "first" jazz
recording. While there is consensus in general that the "Livery Stable
Blues" and "Dixieland One-Step" recordings are candidates for the "first"
honor, both The Jazz Discography and Brian Rust's Jazz Records list
recordings made as early as 1897. Not having heard these very early
recordings but having heard more contemporary renditions of some of these
early tunes, I can certainly hear where some elements of jazz music came
from.

There are some contemporary recordings of some of the older recordings such
as Handy's 1912 "Jogo Blues" and Luckyth Roberts 1913 "Junk Man Rag" which
generally have a jazz flavor.

Stan

Stan Brager