[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden, was Armstrong-Eldridge

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 13 17:09:34 EDT 2017

You can hear Louis in every chorus Red played. Every trumpet player
heard Louis from the Oliver records and before and after and they were
all (maybe not so much Bix and Bunk), including Red and King Joe, vastly
influenced. Red was drenched in Louis's work, and spoke of him all the
time (he stayed for weeks at the Manchester Sports Guild and made other
visits there. During this time many of us had frequent long
conversations with him). You can hear Louis in every solo Red played.
Jabbo's playing was also permeated through and through with Louis. It's
only people who've listened to too much Charlie Parker and Von Freeman
that can't hear this.

Steve V

---