[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden, was Armstrong-Eldridge

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 13 12:21:09 EDT 2017

Jack Purvis was a wonderful player - a ringer for Louis, but also a
developer of the style. He lived an amazing life, just unbelievable, but
true. If you can find his lone CD it has a magnificent 60 page sleeve
note, which is how much it took to recount his life. Failing that, I
wrote a 1,000 word piece  on him in Jazz Journal last year. On one of
his releases from gaol he committed a crime just to get back in because
he so much missed playing in the very good prison band.

Is there anyone else who doesn't think that Henry Red and Jabbo derived
their styles totally from Louis's? Bix and a few of his followers were
the only contemporaries who didn't owe Louis a substantial debt. Others,
like the wonderful Billy Butterfield, could blend Louis's and Bix's
styles together. There's as superb LP called 'Billy Plays Bix' where you
can hear this.

Steve V

7 16:05, Marek Boym wrote:
> The "genealogical" theory is nonsense.
> I query bpth Jabbo Smith's and Red Allens being "Armstrong copyists."
> Actually both sound quite different.
> And how does Bix fit in?
> Cheers
>
> On 13 April 2017 at 03:59, Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
> <mailto:anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     The extensive discussion in this thread reminds me of the old
>     1950s "begat theory" of New Orleans trumpet players. The theory
>     was that Buddy Bolden begat King Oliver, who begat Armstrong, who
>     begat Eldridge. Naive romantic mythology, assuming a simple linear
>     progression.
>
>     What did Bolden sound like and what is the evidence for a direct
>     connection with Oliver? Dan Hardie may have something to say about
>     this :-)
>
>     The "line" branches at Armstrong and we have to take into account
>     the "Armstrong copyists". Jabbo Smith, Henry Allen, Jack Purvis
>     and Valaida Snow. And where does Bunk Johnson fit in? Johnson was
>     probably younger than he claimed and there is an interesting
>     interview with Rudi Blesh in which he has to be prompted to claim
>     to remember King Oliver.
>
>     Anton

>     Dixielandjazz mailing list
>     Dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com <mailto:Dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>