[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge followed Louis Armstrong?

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Wed Apr 12 10:07:20 EDT 2017

Maryk, as I anticipated, gave a short reply sent to me alone that
avoided having to consider the work of Miles Davis. He said only 'Sure.
Unswinging, lacking ideas, cool (as opposed to Bird's heat).'

Lacking ideas?  !!!

Did he expect Miles to match Parker? Nobody did.

Would he similarly have expected Johnny Dodds to match Louis in the Hot
Five? Nobody did.

Cheap stuff, then.

(I'm not breaking a confidence since Maryk's reason for replying to only
me was simply to comply with what Fuzzy had asked for in postings).

Goodness knows how or why his bagatelle thinking deals with Von Freeman!