[Dixielandjazz] List of compositions by K. O. Eckland?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 25 16:46:55 EDT 2016

Dick Baker wrote:
>> On "Live and in Choler," by the World Famous Desolation Jazz Ensemble and Mess Kit Repair Battalion (Clambake C213, 1979), we find
>       Who Dat? (Eckland)  A band original that was written for and is dedicated to Quasimodo, that legendary halfback for Notre Dame.
>       The former national anthem of the WFL.  K.O. also wrote a lot of Beethoven's stuff when he felt up to.

Dear Dick.
As usual you have opened up another can.
And it's not beer.
<big grin>
Tom Lord's 'The Jazz Directory' lists six recordings of "Who Dat?"
	Leo Anthony   1954  (Ray's brother)
	Bonnie Graham   1950s
	Desolation Jazz Ensemble and Mess Kit Repair Battalion   1979
	*Harold Dejan's Olympia Brass Band   1984?
	Thom Rotella   2007
	Roscoe Mitchell   2013

* Composer credit is given to (Dat's Music, Inc.) on the LP 'Best Of New Orleans Jazz!' Mardi Gras Records  MG 1004.
(The YouTube versions play "The Saints", with a Who Dat vocal.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWvcMggoFrA  )

I have also found:
Lee Roy & His Band Who Dat! (Buck Dance).

Then there is the Woody Herman 1943 Decca 18169 "Who Dat Up Dere?" (Walter Kent - Sidney Russell) that I still remember from my youth.
   https://archive.org/details/WoodyHerman-WhoDatUpDere
Cheers,
Bill.