[Dixielandjazz] Yamaha trombone

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 9 17:46:26 UTC 2016

I think I mentioned awhile back that I had bought a new Yamaha trombone,
model YSL891Z.  This is a horn designed for jazz.  Using the L.A. leadpipe
instead of the shorter N.Y. labelled pipe allows a really punchy sound and
amazing range, although I understand the different leadpipes are a personal
thing.  I am really pleased with the horn, and recommend that anyone looking
into buying a new horn have a try on it.

As I am growing into the horn I find that it has a really big sounding lower
range, and that I can reach way into the high range.  High Bb & C are
easy-peasy, big, round and full, and I can even get up to high F
(sometimes!).

The new horn, along with discovering Pilates, which demands excersizing
mainly with your stomach muscles, has given the old chops the spark that was
needed to get on top of old-age!  A new horn & excersize are highly
recommended!

I know I won't convince those that are into the older horns, but the newer
technology in building these horns is something to look into.  On top of
that, it's a beautiful horn to look at!

Jim